Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Evening With the Arts

Evelynn's school had an Evening With the Arts last month. It was really fun. Even wrestling a one-year-old was worth it. Owen watched almost the whole thing. Some of the arts programs at this school are seriously impressive.

One of my favorite pieces (acts? parts?) was a middle school group that came out and laid on their backs on the stage all in a row with their heads towards the audience. Then they turned off all the lights in the theater and turned on the William Tell Overture (Lone Ranger). Each of the kids had flashlights that were either green, blue, yellow, or red, and they all had different parts, making the flashlights dance along with the music on a huge screen. I don't know how that sounds, but it was really cool.
I was also impressed with this drumming group. I didn't get a program, because I was wrestling a one-year-old, so I don't know who they were, but it was an awesome performance.

And I guess this isn't a school program, but this is a third grade concert pianist (sorry about the lighting). I'm not a concert pianist, so I can't tell you about technique, but he could rival any concert pianist I've ever heard.

But my favorite act closed
out the night:
U Can't Touch This
Evelynn's ballet class has really focused on the hip hop this year. I guess now that we're half way through the year, I can stop calling it ballet, because let's be honest, they don't do much ballet. (And I don't do much English) They've performed this hip hop dance twice, which means a lot of practicing this hip hop dance. And the girls love it. And it's actually been really good for Evelynn, who has always done ballet, to loosen up and learn some other dance styles.
She's front right. I forgot to find her something "funky" to wear until the last minute, and I hadn't done laundry, so... hers is maybe another type of funky. She's really good at remembering dances and doesn't get stage fright at all. She did a fantastic job.
Now I think she is learning a Russian dance, so I look forward to the end of the year when I can hopefully see that and maybe even some ballet. I thought about seeing if she wants to try a Russian ballet studio next year, but she has a lot of fun in this class, and I'm not sure if I'm ready for all the work that transportation and communication would be. We'll see.

No comments: