Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Lists.


I am trying to get to the point where I can blog just a little each day, so you can sort of see in real time what my life is like here in the Russian Federation.

Getting to that point is harder than I thought.

Especially when your baby gets four teeth in one week. And then another four teeth in another week. Getting anything done in that case is difficult really.

So, in the meantime I am going to just throw a couple of lists up here. Because I keep wanting to mention these things, and if I post them, then they will be off my mind. And I'm really sorry. This post will probably not contain any pictures.

First:

Dave's Favorite Things About Being Here
(not in any particular order)
1. The skylight over our stairs.
2. Shawarmas from the street vendors. For breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I'm not kidding.
3. Trash day is... are you ready for this.... drum roll please... Monday. Tuesday. Wednesday. Thursday. and Friday. And maybe even Saturday.
4. I think there was one more thing, but I can't remember.

We shipped our stuff in two shipments - a smaller, quicker shipment that we got before I got here with clothes, a few toys, some diapers, a couple kitchen appliances, and a few other things, and then the rest of our stuff. We got the rest of our stuff this week, so in honor of that, our second list:

Things I Was Most Excited to See in Unpacking:
1. the vacuum! Next time that one's going in the first shipment!
2. My one bottle of Mrs. Myers basil scented liquid hand soap (I wish I had packed more of that!)
3. Costco garbage bags
4. Costco toilet paper (I wish I had packed more of that!)
5. My mousepad/desk accessories
6. My shoe basket. One step closer to organizing the bottomless pile of winter wear in our entryway!
7. Our Ikea stool. We will be purchasing at least one more of these. Thank goodness for Ikea!
8. Gerber Graduates puff finger foods for Barb.
9. Fall/Halloween decoration
10. A 13x9 Pyrex.
11. Vitamin C!!!

Dave was most excited about his board games, Evelynn about her bike, and Owen about the Wii. He told me a few weeks ago that he wanted to move back to our old house in Maryland. Because he wanted to play Wii and the boat was taking too long to get here.

Things That Were Broken in Shipping
1. The Crock Pot. boooo!!! It has yet to be replaced.
2. A piano leg. A little glue and we can live with that.
Not bad considering how some of the things were packed.

Fourth:
Since We've Been Here...
1. Barb has gotten eight teeth.
2. Evie has learned to ride a bike.
3. Dave and I have both lost 10 pounds.
4. I have been sick THREE times!!! It feels like I've had a cold for six weeks!
5. We have met three other little boys named Owen - two of them go to Owen's preschool.
6. We have been to see Red Square with the Kremlin and St. Basil's Cathedral, the old Arbat, Tsaritsino and a nearby honey festival, and the Izmailovo market.
7. We have eaten at McDonald's three times (they are everywhere) and Papa John's once.
8. I have figured out how to do THIS:
by myself.
8. I also ordered Стардог!s by myself from a street vendor! Booyah!
9. I have not learned Russian.

That's it for today ladies and gentlemen. Thanks for helping me take a load off.

No comments: