Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Resident Artist

We may be biased, but we think that Evelynn is a gifted artist. We love her art. And she loves to create art, so it's really a win-win situation around here. Art art art!
I think Owen could definitely be a good artist too, but he hasn't really shown a lot of interest, and so we don't end up encouraging it, and it just kind of spirals downward from there. And on top of that, he has an older sister who likes to tell him that she can also do what he is doing and do it better. Well, usually she can, because she is older, but he doesn't see it that way, and I think he feels a little competitive about it, and so in general he doesn't show much interest. I've been working on it though, so hopefully he will become more artistic. I think art is a fantastic form of self-expression and a great way to feel a sense of accomplishment. I really like art.
Anyway...
A piece of Evelynn's art was chosen (I have no idea what the requirements were) by her art teacher at school for a local art exhibit for elementary and middle school students! Yay, Evelynn!
They had a reception last week while Dave was in class, so I took the kids. We had cookies and apple juice and checked out some art.
Here's Evelynn's piece:
And the artist:
(I wish they would have hung the Kindergarten stuff a little lower)
She was pretty happy about it.
And so were we. In fact, it could be that her art was chosen simply because her parents express an interest in it, but even if that's the case, it gets her excited about art, and I'm excited about that!
But I'm wondering... do your older kids make your younger kids feel insecure about things? How do you deal with it?

1 comment:

Heatherlyn said...

Hooray for Evie! I love the rainbow! And I love art too. I scan all my kids' artwork into the computer. I publish it in our annual family photobook. Someday when they are 18 I'd like to have a book with all of their art individually and publish that for them. Although, the older kids don't draw nearly as much as they used to. :(

The kids don't seem to be too discouraged by their older sibling's art. In fact, my most prolific artist right now is my 5 year-old. I love little kid art work. And it seems like when one of them draws the rest of them are more likely to think it looks like a fun thing to do.

I totally agree with everything you said about art. It is wonderful! It should be in your little guy's genes. Just keep encouraging him and someday maybe he'll decide that he enjoys it too!