Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's a Marshmallow World in the Winter

We make a lot of treats at Christmas time around here. I started this season thinking I was going to be good about eating healthier and not eat so many treats. I was also trying to figure out what kind of treat we would be making to share with our neighbors. Then a friend of mine brought over a huge bag of a delicious white chocolate winter mix, and I knew exactly what I would be making for our neighbors. I also knew that I wasn't going to be good. I'm willing to work out the extra hours at the gym for that stuff. It's delicious!
So, we've been busy baking, dipping, stirring, and mixing around here. It's a little stressful, but it's also a lot of fun. It's the only time of year that I think the stress is actually worth it. Maybe that's because I'm getting the hang of it and it's not so stressful anymore? Wait, I haven't mailed my Christmas cards yet. Danget!
Right now, we're just finishing up Evie's treats to take to her classmates at school. We made these last year too, but the kids had so much fun (and they are so easy), that I think we'll make it a tradition. We call them Marshmallow treats.
You start with a big pile of marshmallows. Put some sticks right through the center. Last year we used craft sticks that look like popsicle sticks, but this year we tried out actual lollipop sticks. They worked much better.
Then you dip the marshmallows in melting candy. Any color is fine, just let your creativity flow, imagine the possibilities. We get the Wilton's brand from the grocery store or a craft store. It's really yummy, and vanilla tasting.
Don't laugh at my double boiler. It works, okay? I actually wanted and got one for a wedding gift, but ended up returning it for something we actually needed at the time. Ha. Newlyweds. Don't tell my aunt and uncle. I'll always remember that they got it for me, and still appreciate the thought. And one day I'll have another one. A real one that is.
Anyway, then you dip the marshmallow into any variety of sprinkles.
Lay it on some wax paper. Aren't they cute?
Then we put them in some little lollipop size plastic bags (we get them at Michael's, but I assume any craft store would have them) and tie some ribbon on with a little note that says "Happy Holidays! From: Evie" because we don't want to offend anyone who may not celebrate Christmas. We're considerate like that.
Ta Da! Marshmallow treats. Cheap, easy, fun. What more could you ask? Oh yeah, and cute.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love those! I didn't think about treats until I saw other kids walking in today with bags of stuff...oh well. I love that the kids can do them all by themselves.

Oh, and your double boiler looks a lot like mine. Saucepan + metal bowl = double boiler!

Heatherlyn said...

First, you take really GOOD pictures. I'm always impressed. They always look so professional. If you ever wanted a career in another life maybe you could be a photographer for a magazine.
Second, what a neat idea. I bet your kids LOVE it.
Third, I bought one of those "candy melting" appliances from Walmart this year for $20. I haven't tried it yet so I hope it works. Nothing like trying to keep chocolate at a melting temperature that actually works. I think your double broiler is quite creative and if it works then it is also quite intelligent.
I'm glad that you are enjoying the holidays with your children. You are a good Mom.

adventure knitter said...

those are super cute! can i have some?? you know how i love marshmallows!!

Nathan said...

I love those pictures. It just makes me want to rip open a bag of marshmallows and eat them

Hizzeather said...

"We're considerate like that"

ha ha! :)

Our Bitter Sweet Life with T1D said...

Those are so cute! You are so creative and your treat mix stuff was super yummy! Thanks for the fun ideas!