Sunday, April 20, 2008

Kite Day

The Smithsonian Kite Festival was so fun! We had to sandwich it in between a morning basketball game and some evening plans, so the kids only got to fly our $1 Target ladybug kite for about 30 to 45 minutes, but that was plenty of time for them. In fact, it was perfect. They each got a turn to hold the string, to throw the kite up, and to run around picking dandelions for me, as I watched from the grass. They started getting bored right around the time we decided to leave. I would have liked to have had more time to wander around and see other peoples' kites. There were some crazy kites! I also like to wander around a Smithsonian or a monument or two whenever we are in the area, and I really would have loved to have spent some more time with the cherry blossoms, so next year we will go for the whole day (and we will definitely go earlier if I want any alone time with the blossoms). And who knows, maybe we'll get crazy and make a kite (We would have to bring a store bought one as a back up, of course. You never know with homemade kites.).
Have you ever been to the Jefferson Memorial? Have you ever seen it this crowded?! Me either. I told you there were so many people! And this wasn't even the largest crowd. And it was like this everywhere!
Here's Dad and Ev with the kite. I was really surprised how well it went. My memories of kite flying are b-o-r-i-n-g. We could never seem to get the kite up into the air, but Dave and Evie went out there with the millions of other kite fliers and put it right in the sky. Nice job!
Check it out!
There were a lot of kites. I don't think I can say that enough. There were a lot of people and a lot of kites. A lot. This picture does no justice. And what I want to know, is how so many kites can fly at the same time, so close together (I'm telling you this picture is only a weak representation) and not get all tangled and come crashing down. We were across the street in a relatively less crowded area, and we still got tangled, crashed our kite into some strangers, and got crashed into a couple of times. The skills those people must have. It should be an Olympic sport or something.
Ready for lift off!
Evie loved throwing the kite up, and Owen did a great job holding onto the string. Teamwork!
You have no idea how hard it was for me to get this shot.


2 comments:

Starley Family said...

Wow! It looks like every cool person was down at the Kite Festival! Wish we could have joined in the fun!

necia said...

You guys do so much fun stuff!!