Thursday, February 28, 2008

Plus One


As I mentioned in the last post, we took a trip down to North Carolina to meet Dave's sister for the weekend. She is looking into the Doctorate of Physical Therapy at Duke University and wanted to check out the area. We, having never been to North Carolina, were excited to add one more state to our list of states visited and to hang out with Meg. Done and done. Meg got to meet with the faculty, tour the school, learn more about the program, and explore the whole Durham/Chapel Hill area, and we got to go to North Carolina and hang out with Meg! We actually had a lot of fun shopping in Duke's student center (Dave picked up some wrist bands and a headband with a big D - for Tenacious D, of course) and wandering around the [gorgeous] campus. It was built in the 1920's-30's in a neo-Gothic style, and I loved it! Seriously, inside and out. I can't even imagine going to school there every day. It even has it's own forest and botanical gardens. I wonder if I was born in the wrong era. Anyway... after Duke, we drove around the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, which was also beautiful, but in a totally different way. It was built about 30 years earlier in a neoclassical style (I think) with more simple lines and lighter colors that make it look newer (to me, at least). It also seemed a lot bigger than Duke for some reason. Maybe it is bigger. I have no idea of the actual statistics. And being in probably the NCAA basketball capital of the country, we thought about catching a game, but at $350-$750 a piece, we opted to watch Enchanted at the hotel instead. I'm not sure Dave was so excited about the decision, but I think he enjoyed the movie anyway. It's pretty funny. We ended the trip with a stop at Mad Hatter's for some delicious short dough cookies (not shortbread, we were assured) and other assorted treats (man, if only we would have found this little gem earlier in the trip).
So now, that's 28 states (that Dave and I have been to together - 25 with the kids), plus one more equals 29! Hooray! On our way to 50 (except I really wonder if the whole northern central US will ever happen...)

The kids with Aunt Megs


Go Devils!


The Duke Chapel


Inside the chapel we got to hear some operatic rehearsal. It was beautiful.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous. Duke is beautiful. If she ends up there let me know. I have a really good friend that moved there a couple of years ago that could give her some tips. Also, I think they would probably be in the same ward. I'm glad you finally got down there. :) I hope you made Dave drive the last leg!