Sunday, December 23, 2007

A New Tradition

I have this idea in my mind that one of our Christmas traditions will be that the kids will get three gifts for Christmas - representing the three gifts the wise men brought to Jesus. The gifts (in my mind) will be one thing they need, one thing they want, and one thing we can do together as a family (it isn't my original idea, so I don't get the credit if you like it - or if you don't). Well, we have been "doing this" for three years now, and each year I have the same two problems. First, I'm not sure where Santa fits into this (this one will become more of a problem in the future, I'm sure) or stockings for that matter. Second, I have an extremely hard time limiting the gift giving to three gifts. So, this has been our tradition in my mind for the last three years, but technically not in practice. We'll have to see how long it lasts.
Last year, for our "gift that we can do as a family", we each got a ticket to see Peter and the Wolf at the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (they have $10 student rush tickets if you have an evening to kill and want to try them out - oh and if you're a student). The orchestra played the music, Rheda Becker narrated, and some puppet company brought these huge puppets and acted it out. It was a great show, and we all really enjoyed it - Owen included. This year, we were thinking of getting orchestra tickets again, but the timing of the shows didn't work out for a Christmas gift, so we did something else (No! I'm not going to tell you before Christmas!). BUT not to worry, Dave's parents bought us the orchestra tickets we wanted anyway! Yay for Grandma and Grandpa! They take the cousins that live near them to their family orchestra shows, so when they heard that our orchestra had a family series, they were happy to treat us to tickets for The Nutcracker and Cinderella. Thanks Mom and Dad!
So, a couple of weeks ago we dressed the kids up and headed down to the Meyerhoff for the Nutcracker. The orchestra was amazing! It really is beautiful music. A CD now on our(my) list. Rheda Becker narrated again (thankfully, because I didn't realize I had never heard the story) and The Baltimore School for the Arts did the ballet. Evelynn was mesmerized. Owen, not so much. I'm not sure if it's because he is two, or because he is a boy and so has a natural aversion to ballet. Either way, he kept us busy during the show. Afterwards we went out to lunch at Pei Wei (pronounced "pay way", it's like a "not quite fast food version" of PF Changs and very yummy - try it today!). It was a fun family afternoon and I think the Nutcracker will be a new family Christmas tradition. We just have to convince Owen.



Posted by Picasa

No comments: