Monday, November 07, 2011

Our First Birthday Party

We don't do birthday parties. Theoretically, we do "other parties". Like, one year we had an end of summer party, and we've thought a lot about Halloween and Christmas and Valentine and Just Because parties, but it doesn't really happen.
I don't want my kids to have to feel like they need to keep up with the billion dollar birthday parties that some other kids have, and I also don't like having a bunch of random toys around (my toys are organized into categories, and birthday gifts are just way too much of a risk).
We do other fun traditions, which I've mentioned, like our birthday gift treasure hunts, and fun themes.
However, it has always been in our plans to have birthday parties at 8, possibly 12, maybe 16,... it's kind of a "cross that bridge when we come to it" deal.
Well, Evelynn turned 8.
We were at the bridge.
So, we had a party.
We waited until a month after her actual birthday, because my Mom was going to be in town, and she wanted to be there (and I wanted her help). Also, since she was baptized very close to her birthday, I wanted to keep that time special, and the focus on being baptized, not on partying. It was her first birthday party, after all. Very exciting.

She wanted an American Girl party, so I went with the red and white star theme (you can't just pick up American Girl party supplies on the shelf at Target). I was back in the U.S. for a long weekend a couple of months ago, so I picked up anything red, white, or stars, as well as a couple of American Girl craft projects.

We kept it simple, invited just a few friends, made Evelynn's favorite foods, and played a few games with dolls that the girls brought. We finished up with our crafts (fortune tellers was the favorite), and the girls went home! Easy peasy!

Hey Evelynn, what did you think of your birthday party?
"I thought it was awesome. It was the best party I've ever had."
There you go folks. Best party she's ever had. I think we better call it quits while we're ahead.

No comments: