Sunday, October 12, 2008

Kneaders

My favorite meal is breakfast. I would eat breakfast for three meals a day if I didn't have a family to feed. Cold cereal, french toast, pancakes, crepes, aebelskiver, eggs, bacon, sausage, yogurt, oatmeal, breakfast burritos, I love it all. Mhhh, I'm getting hungry. I think I'll make french toast for dinner. Anyway, I'm also selectively frugal. And one thing I have a hard time spending money on is going out to breakfast. I make much healthier choices, and it is much cheaper for me to eat breakfast at home. I've even gotten into the habit of using the coffee maker to boil hot water in hotels to make oatmeal for breakfast (if the hotel doesn't offer complimentary breakfast, of course).
As is the usual for me, there is one standing exception to this rule that I have, and that exception is Kneaders Bakery. The. Best. French. Toast. I. Have. Ever. Had. (and probably the most unhealthy). Fortunately there are only six Kneaders locations on the planet, and the closest one is over 2000 miles from here. When I am in town, I love going in to browse the crafty/boutiquey stuff for sale (and available for custom gift baskets) around the cafe and drool over the display case loaded with pastries. Their shelves piled with artisan breads make me feel a little like I'm in France, too (not that I would really know, because I haven't been there yet.)
I always get their chunky cinnamon french toast served with fresh strawberries and cream and deliciously creamy maple syrup (which as long as I have been going there has been "all you can eat", but I have never gotten past the first plate). An office that I worked at in Provo would occasionally order lunch from Kneaders, too, and while I have no recollection of what I ate, I know that it was always delicious!
Look at that! That is some chunky french toast!
Kneaders, I need you! (haha)
I think she likes it.
Just look. I know you're drooling. Perfectly crispy on the outside, irresistibly soft and cinnamony on the inside. Mmmmhhhh. Why didn't I ever work at Kneaders and learn their secrets? Never mind, I don't want to know their secrets. I just want to enjoy them occasionally. I'll stick with cold cereal at home in the mean time.
Okay wait, I just remembered another breakfast rule exception: A Jamba Juice and a fresh slice of bread from Great Harvest (located conveniently close together in Provo). Any kind of bread. It doesn't really matter, as long as you have them spread a nice layer of butter on the top. I swear their butter is better than regular butter. I have asked them though, and they will admit nothing.

1 comment:

Cal said...

Oh yes, now I remember why we hit it off so well, we both share French Toast Love. Yummy Tummy (that was for Owen).